Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I left my heart in the Prairies...

Bon Iver said it, and I feel it - somewhere baby it's part of me apart from me. When I learn and grow in a place I feel a lasting connection to it. It feels amazing to have been able to experience so much growth and to be able to pinpoint a time and a place and people who were there. And whether these are with me or apart from me they will always be a part of me.

So what were these lessons, and what was this growth? I'm learning to trust people at their word and to believe that when someone offers you something, they really want you to have it, and that accepting it is the best thing you can do for yourself and for them, that the locals know the way better than my iPhone, but sometimes it's a really good idea to get lost, that things and places don't really matter at all - all that matters is the people and the feelings, that when you think a place is boring and flat and all the same, you're missing the real beauty, and that people really underestimate the prairies. I'm living by the mantra "be you, be happy, be free." and this is how I'm growing. I brought no make up, I eat when I'm hungry, I nap in the midday sun, I have dirt under my nails, between my toes and on my face, I have redefined productivity, I sleep when I can (after the last adventure and before the next), I laugh at silly jokes and tell plenty in return, I make friends with everyone and cherish every word of advice, wisdom and support, and I let the wind take me where it wants to go. Every day I live those 6 words I grow and I become the person I want to be.

We made it to Manitoba about 5 days ago. Here's proof:











And we'll be in Ontario in a few hours. The scenery is already very shieldy and the black flies have appeared.

It feels so strange to be leaving the prairies behind already. We've met so many incredible people and have been treated like daughter and son and sister and brother. I definitely have not had my fill of this wonderful place - I'll be back to witness the fields in bloom and to take up offers I didn't have time to accept. Rolling across this country I'm discovering how much more there is to discover that I never knew existed - the more you know, the more you know you don't know!

Location:Green Ave,Falcon Beach,Canada

1 comment:

  1. Salut mes amis! Je vous aime beaucoup beaucoup et je suis heureux pour ta belle voyage.

    It makes me really happy to read accounts of your journey. It sounds like you are having an amazing spiritual growth spurt which is rare to come by. I loved the prairies as well; the big sky and the sense of openness all around.

    Cant wait to meet up soon... stay tuned for a message containing hints for your present along the way...

    Je vous embrasse,
    Jenn!

    ReplyDelete